Dr. James C. Collyer is a board-certified dermatologist who received his training from Northwestern University in Chicago, has been a dermatologist in the Seattle area since 2008, and co-founded Modern Dermatology in 2015. He is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Washington Division of Dermatology and has won many local and national honors, including being a Seattle Magazine Top Dermatologist in 2021, a Seattle Met and Castle Connolly Top Dermatologist multiple years and finishing several times as the highest-rated Dermatologist in King 5 News’ Best of Western Washington. Being academically trained, he has authored several scientific articles and book chapters and lectures both locally and nationally.
Within Dermatology he enjoys both medical and aesthetic dermatology. In general dermatology, he is an expert in men’s skin health, skin surgery, rosacea and has a large psoriasis practice, including narrow-band UVB treatments (excimer/light booth). Cosmetically, he is a one of the most skilled injectors in Seattle (fillers, Botox, Kybella) and has a vast array of lasers he uses to treat fine lines, skin discoloration (sunspots, blood vessel growths, etc) and scars. As a Clinical Assistant Professor, he also does laser training for the University of Washington dermatology residents.
As an Eagle Scout and having grown up in Colorado and New Mexico, Dr. Collyer is an avid fan of the outdoors and snowboarding. You might also find him at a Seahawks or Kraken game (being the sports nut he is), hanging out with his family (the youngest of seven children), traveling or babbling something in Dutch.
- Dermatology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 2005-2008
- Chief resident, Jesse Brown VA Hospital, 2008
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery preceptorship grant, 2007
- Goldberg Family Trust grant, 2006
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 2000-2004
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society (Junior year, top 4% of class)
- Merit Scholarship recipient, 2000-2004
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Medicine, Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago IL, 2005
- Brigham Young University, 2000
- Summa Cum Laude
Professional Activities and Experience
- University of Washington, Clinical Assistant Professor
- Westside Dermatology, 2008 – 2015
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), Fellow
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), Fellow
- Medical Dermatology Society
- Seattle Dermatology Society
- Washington State Dermatology Society
- AAD Sports Committee, 2006 – 2008
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2003-present